Genius Hour Reflection 1 – Sign Language

What topic did you research in Genius Hour?

My topic that I researched for Genius Hour 1 was Sign Language. I learned all about the different types of Sign Language such as, PSE, SEE, and ASL. I learned all about the history of sign language and how it is used in someone’s everyday life. I also got the chance to learn the basics of ASL sign language.

Image result for asl alphabet

Why did you choose it?

I chose this because it really interested me and I have wanted to learn sign language for a really long time. I have a cousin who lives in New York and he is deaf. Whenever I go to visit him it is really hard for me to communicate with him. I usually just speak to him and he reads my lips. But when I last visited him, I realized it was time for me to fianlly learn how to speak sign language so then I could finally communicate with him a lot more easily. Learning all about Sign Language and learning how to actually speak ASL has pushed me to face challenges and step into other people’s shoes that I wouldn’t normally have to walk in. 

What was your research question?

I split my research question into 2 parts since sign language is a very broad topic. My research questions were, What is the basics of learning ASL? Why is ASL so much more popular then the other types of Sign Language?

What did you learn?

I learnt about many different things. I learned all about the Origin of ASL. For example, it has origins in New England. I learned all about the 3 types of Sign Language. PSE (Pidgin Signed English), SEE (Signed Exact English), and ASL (American Sign Language). These different types of sign language each have their grammar rules, word orders, etc. I learned all about the ASL alphabet and numbers. All about different sign language and deaf organizations like the NAD (National Association of Deaf, Deaflympics, and the Deaf Sports League. I also learned that being deaf makes life harder but it does not make anything impossible. Some of the most famous people are deaf. They dance like professionals, play sports in the Deaflympics, and are never limited to what they can do.

Image result for Dancing deaf

How did that help you grow as a person or a student?

This helped me grow as a person because it showed me how different people learn and different communication methods people use. This also helped me grow as a person because it showed me that no matter how many people tell you you can’t do something because of a disability you can still show them that you are capable of acheiving your dreams and doing the impossible. This taught me that a person is capable of doing anything they want no matter the obstacles they have standing in their way.

How did what you learn help (the world, community, yourself, animals, etc.) in some way? Explain.

What I learned helped me because it helped me showcase the importance of sign language. It helped me spread awareness of the importance of learning sign language or at leas the basics of what sign language is. I believe everyone should know what sign language is or the basics of sign language since this could help them a lot in the future. Also since I learned the basics of sign language then I can now teach other people who are interested or want to help people that are deaf.

How will what you learn in the next Genius Hour help the world, community, yourself, animals, etc. in some way? Explain.

What I will learn in my next Genius Hour project is all about Drama and the colleges that you can go to that will be the best if you want to go into the acting business and make a living in the acting business. This will help me because it will help me figure out which college I want to go to and what will help me do what I want to when I grow up. This will also help because since I will be studying different colleges I will be able to help others who want to do the same as me and give them advice since I will know all about the topic and the different colleges that specialize specifically on drama, musical theater, and acting.

Below I attached the link to my Sign Language Presentation. Here you can really learn all about Sign Language and it might help spark an interest about Sign for you!

My Presentation

Works Cited

•      Sign Language.  “ASL alphabet.”  WPClipart, Public Domain.  https://www.wpclipart.com/sign_language/ASL_alphabet.png.html
  •      Tan, Roy. “Deaf Men Dancing Rehearsal.”  BBC, BBC, 25 September 2014, http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-ouch-29324932
  •      Pentagram Design.  “New York University.” Citizen Research and Design, 2010, http://citizenrd.com/projects/new-york-university